The Church Evangelismos (Annunciation) is located next to Mandraki Harbor in Rhodos. It is the work of the architects Florestano Di Fausto and Rodolfo Petracco and was built in 1925, during the Italian occupation. Although the design is heavily influenced by the church of St. John located in the Medieval Town of Rhodos, it remains a magnificent example of Gothic architecture.
The decoration elements are all carved from the local, very characteristic sand stone. The same stone is used in the Medieval Town and the most important buildings of the modern city. This church is also dedicated to St. John. The interior is decorated with fantastic byzantine murals by Fotis Kontoglou.